So Far, So Good

Blogging the journey...

Friday 21 May 2010

Cut-Glass Snowflake Doily

13 June 10 - Stop the presses! The doily has been identified!
I'm just waiting for a copy of the book to arrive (yes, I found one!) and then I'll post the details. Watch this space. :-) Details here!

Amendment: 27 May 10 - And the prize goes to Ravelry's doilyswan for spotting the first mistake! Round 9 has been amended. Anyone else?

I like to rescue interesting doilies from charity shops, take them home and save them for posterity by "reverse engineering" the pattern. Ok, I've only done two so far, plus I've got one waiting in the wings, but if there were more hours in the day I'd do more.

I found this unusual doily, or it could be a large motif, in a shop in Manningtree, Essex.




The style suggests it's a vintage pattern, though I could be wrong. I've asked all over the place and no one's recognised it yet.

Here's my first draft -


And here's the copy I made using my notes from the first one -


And here... is the pattern!

Cut-Glass Snowflake Doily
American notation

#10 or Bedspread cotton
1.5mm hook
Finished size = 10”

Notes:
2trtog (2 treble together [decrease]) = *yo twice, insert hk in st, yo, pull thru st, (yo, pull thru 2) twice, rpt from *, yo, pull thru 3
Ch4-picot = ch 4, slst in top of last st made

Ch 6, join

Rnd 1) 24 dc in ring

Rnd 2) *3 sc, ch 8, sk 1 dc, rpt from * around

Rnd 3) slst to 2nd sc, ch 4, *in ch8 sp (7 dc, ch 5, 7 dc), tr in 2nd sc, rpt from * around

Rnd 4) ch 7, *in ch5 sp (7 dc, ch 5, 7 dc), ch 3, tr in tr, ch 3, rpt from * around, slst in 4th ch of beg ch7

Rnd 5) ch 7, *in ch5 sp (7 dc, ch 5, 7 dc), ch 3, in tr (tr, ch 3, tr), ch 3, rpt from * around, ending ch 3, tr in same tr as beg ch7, ch 3, slst in 4th ch of beg ch7

Rnd 6) ch 7, *in ch5 sp (7 dc, ch 5, 7 dc), ch 3, tr in tr, ch 3, 2 trtog in same tr and nxt tr, ch 3, tr in same tr, ch 3, rpt from * around, ending omit last tr, slst in 4th ch of beg ch7

Rnd 7) ch 7, *in ch5 sp (7 dc, ch 5, 7 dc), ch 3, tr in nxt tr, ch 3, 2 trtog in same tr and nxt tr, ch 6, 2 trtog in same tr and nxt tr, ch 3, tr in same tr, ch 3, rpt from * around, ending omit last tr, slst in 4th ch of beg ch7

Rnd 8) ch 1, sc in same st, ch 7, *in ch5 sp (7 dc, ch 5, 7 dc), ch 7, sc in tr, 17 tr in ch6 sp, sk tr, sc in nxt tr, ch 7, rpt from * around

Rnd 9) slst over 3 ch, sc in 4th, *ch 5, in ch5 sp (7 dc, ch 9, 7 tr 7 dc), ch 5, sc in 4th ch of ch7, ch 2, sk 3 tr, sc in tr, ch 4, sk 3 tr, in nxt tr (sc, ch 3, sc), sk tr, in nxt tr (sc, ch 3, sc), ch 4, sk 3 tr, sc in nxt tr, ch 2, sc in 4th ch of ch7, rpt from * around, to end: replace last ch 2 w hdc in beg sc

Rnd 10) *13 dc in ch5 sp, sc in 4th dc, 25 dc in ch9 sp, sc in 4th dc, 13 dc in ch5 sp, sc in ch2 sp, 3 sc in ch4 sp, ch 12, 3 sc in ch4 sp, sc in ch2 sp, rpt from * around, ending sc over beg hdc

Rnd 11) slst over 7 st, ch 3, 6 dc, *sc in 3rd dc of 25, (ch 10, sk 3 dc, sc in 3 dc, ch4-picot (see notes), sc in 2 dc) twice, ch 10, sk 3 dc, sc in nxt dc, dc in nxt 7 dc of 13, ch 8, sc in ch12 sp, ch 8, sk 6 dc, dc in nxt 7 dc, rpt from * around

Rnd 12) ch 1, sc in same st, *ch 3, in ch10 lp (8 dc, ch4-picot, 7 dc), ch 3, (sc, ch 4, sc) in picot, rpt from * once more, ch 3, in ch10 lp (8 dc, ch4-picot, 7 dc), ch 3, sc in 7th dc, 5 sc in ch8 sp, ch 12, 5 sc in ch8 sp, sc in 1st dc, rpt from * around. FO

Copyright © 2010, Judy M Kerr. All Rights Reserved.

The pattern has only been tested by me and it's so easy to gloss over mistakes and "see" what you expect to see, so if you try it and you run into any problems please let me know - sofar_sogood at btinternet dot com.

And if anyone does recognise the pattern, again please let me know so that I can make the appropriate acknowledgements. Thank you.

Labels: , ,

31 Comments:

  • At 21 May, 2010 19:15, Blogger Kim said…

    Oh that's lovely! I like how it mimics those vintage style motifs we've seen.

    Oh and that lovely "ravel it" button worked! I have you queued!

    Thank you for the hard work of deciphering this pattern.

     
  • At 21 May, 2010 22:16, Blogger jmk said…

    Thanks, Kim. I enjoyed the challenge. Now that this one's been "put to bed" I'm hoping to find some time to start the next one. :-)

    Ravelry, eh - MikoNoNyte?

     
  • At 22 May, 2010 00:29, Blogger suzyjune said…

    Judy, the doily is lovely. Thank you so much for sharing the instructions with us :)

    Can't wait to see the next thing you create.

    Carolyn Geoffrey

     
  • At 22 May, 2010 12:21, Blogger Betsy said…

    Thank you for sharing the directions for this lovely pattern! When I first saw it on Celt's site, I was so hoping someone would recognize it and be able to tell us where to find the pattern. I can't believe all the work you must have gone through to make this pattern! I can't wait to make one for myself!

     
  • At 22 May, 2010 17:43, Blogger jmk said…

    It wasn't too bad, actually. I just counted the stitches and chains. It's bit like working a doily from a chart. :-) The chains were the trickiest, in fact, because where they were covered by stitches I had to guess how many were required.

     
  • At 22 May, 2010 19:49, Blogger Cloud 9 said…

    Judy, Thank you for this magnificent work. It looks like you captured the pattern perfectly!
    I really appreciate you posting the pattern for all of us to enjoy.
    Hugs,
    Kim

     
  • At 09 June, 2010 01:46, Blogger Sus said…

    I bet that was a great deal of fun to reverse engineer! The finished project looks spot on. Beautiful!

     
  • At 09 June, 2010 01:46, Blogger Sus said…

    OMG -- I just realized that Blogger was having a hiccup! So sorry!!!

     
  • At 09 June, 2010 14:05, Blogger jmk said…

    LOL! What has Blogger been drinking??

    It really was fun to do! :-)

     
  • At 21 October, 2010 21:38, Blogger Sandra La Knitalian said…

    O THANK YOU for sharing the pattern-it's one of a few vintage I do NOT have (yet!) ♥♥♥

     
  • At 24 October, 2010 04:22, Blogger livelovelaugh said…

    Your instructions were easy to follow. You did good! Thanks.

     
  • At 26 October, 2010 18:59, Blogger jmk said…

    livelaughlove,
    I'm glad of that. You're very welcome! Is that you, Ramona?

     
  • At 15 March, 2011 23:53, Blogger Unknown said…

    This took me 8 hrs., the first one I have ever done. It turned out perfect. The last row can be alittle hard. BUT I DID IT. Really beautiful. Thanks for the posts.

     
  • At 16 March, 2011 07:44, Blogger jmk said…

    Woohoo, pamtops! That's wonderful. Are you saying this is the first doily you've ever done or just the first one of these doilies? (I wish your profile was public so I could contact you, LOL!) And only 8 hours? Wow, you flew along. If you're on Ravelry please drop me a message (JudyK) - I'd love to see your work.

     
  • At 30 March, 2012 23:01, Blogger Snowcatcher said…

    This is stunning. Thank you for doing this!

     
  • At 23 December, 2012 16:21, Blogger Jane Hamill said…

    I saw this was a blog hosted on blogspot.co.uk and thought "Oh goody! For once a crochet pattern I don't have to translate from US to British!". Then I saw it was American notation :(

    Oh well, thanks for the free pattern anyway and well done for working it out!

     
  • At 23 December, 2012 17:04, Blogger jmk said…

    Oh Jane, I'm so sorry to disappoint!

    Although I am English and learned to crochet in Canada, I learned to read patterns in the US. So, even though I've been back here since 1986 I still "see" crochet in US terms.

    And to top it off, I just sold my UK copy of the book this pattern originally appeared in! :(

     
  • At 10 November, 2013 02:37, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hahaha! I had to laugh... I 'reverse engineer' crochet doilies, motifs and patterns all the time, all you need is a close-up pic, you don't even need the article.

    You did such a great job on this one, yours is so much better, (tighter looking), than the original.

    Good on you! I agree about the vintage look, I would have sworn it was from the 40's, myself. The terminals on the motif almost have a 'crown' about them.

    Glad to come across a fellow workitouterer!
    Love from Sunny Australia

     
  • At 10 November, 2013 16:16, Blogger jmk said…

    Thanks Jaya Jaya! To be fair, the original looks like it's been through the wash quite a few times and it didn't have the benefit of being freshly blocked either. ;-)

    Love your "workitouterer"!

    Greetings from not-so-sunny-in-fact-blinkin'-cold England

     
  • At 28 October, 2015 08:11, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm making the beautiful Cut-Glass snow flake doily for an elderly lady and her husband who lost everything they owned in a house fire and they don't have any Christmas decorations or ornaments. The lady has been crocheting for a long time and everything she had made through the years also lost. I will be showing the finish product to the ladies of the crochet group I belong to on facebook. If someone asks for the pattern, is it ok to share it with them or not. Thank you.

     
  • At 28 October, 2015 19:57, Blogger jmk said…

    Oh marjs29, how terribly sad for them, but how lovely of you to do this. My all means, you're more than welcome to share away! If it's not a private group, could you give me the name? I'd love to pop in and see the results.

     
  • At 05 January, 2016 22:17, Blogger I Love FX! said…

    I've recently caught the crochet snowflake bug and I'm considering designing a round tablecloth with each snowflake being unique (as is the case in nature, right?) I'm working on a way to arrange the snowflakes so they can be joined. I'm considering arranging the concentric circles by snowflake diameter at this point. Any ideas on this and links to potential joining techniques would be welcome!

     
  • At 07 January, 2016 21:18, Blogger jmk said…

    Oh my, I Love FX!, that sounds like quite an ambitious project! But the effect would be wonderful. I don't think I've ever seen anything comparable, so I'm drawing a blank on links. You'd want to practically just "tack" the points together so as not to detract from the form of the snowflakes. I think your idea about concentric circles by size is inspired. I wish you the best of luck with this project and I'd LOVE to see the results.

     
  • At 29 March, 2016 18:57, Blogger Unknown said…

    OK. I am not sure how old this pattern is but the item was on my dresser when I was a little girl in the 1950's. It was made by my great-grandmother who had been deceased for 26 yrs when I was born. So I would imagine the origins of this are somewhere in the late 1800's or early 1900's. Glad to see the pattern reproduced so I can make it and bring back a few memories from back then. Thank you.

     
  • At 30 March, 2016 07:23, Blogger jmk said…

    Dear Pallie, Really? That's amazing! Oh how I'd love to see it.

    I did find the pattern in a book published by Coats in 1984 (see my other post: http://sofar-sogood.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/original-snowflake-doily.html), but the designer wasn't named which is unusual these days and makes me think it could well be a vintage pattern that they've just resurrected. I've seen that a lot with older pattern books - the same patterns pop up in various books and leaflets.

    Would you mind if I added a note about your grandmother's doily in that post?

     
  • At 03 December, 2016 19:33, Blogger martienne17 said…

    I see that you've copyrighted your reproduction, though people have made it clear the original pattern is vintage and most likely out of copyright. Would it be all right with you if I made these to sell? I am trying to start my Etsy shop up with a Christmas sale and I'd love to be able to offer this item.

     
  • At 04 December, 2016 08:28, Blogger jmk said…

    Hi Marti S.
    Actually, at the top of this post I link to my post about the discovery of the original pattern source - http://sofar-sogood.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/original-snowflake-doily.html. So Anchor/Coates holds the copyright for their pattern. HOWEVER, MY posted pattern was my own stitch-by-stitch work, it's slightly different to the published pattern, and I personally have no problem with you using my pattern to make items to sell. Be my guest. :)

     
  • At 28 October, 2017 22:50, Blogger Karen Davis said…

    Thank you for recreating the pattern. Its the first one I have completed. ♡

     
  • At 29 October, 2017 14:08, Blogger jmk said…

    And I've see the results, folks - Karen has done a great job! All the more impressive as it's her first doily. Nothing like diving in at the deep end. :) You're very welcome!

     
  • At 25 December, 2017 10:03, Blogger Unknown said…

    I just finished this for a Christmas present (because I am a procrastinator!) and it is lovely. thank you~!

     
  • At 26 December, 2017 09:48, Blogger jmk said…

    Katie Carter - LOL! Well, it's not even "better late than never". It's technically on time. :) I'm pleased you tried this pattern, and I hope the recipient appreciates your efforts. Merry Christmas and Happy 2018!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

        Older posts                                                                       Newer posts

 
Since January 2006
people have had too much time on their hands